Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Bookgroup & Book: My Sister's Keeper

I chose this book because Jodi Picoult is so popular and I hadn't got around to reading her yet. Bookgroup forces me to. I loved this book (though maybe not the ending, which came as a huge surprise). My Sister's Keeper centers on Anna, who, at the age of thirteen, decides to sue her parents for medical emancipation. Anna has not only served as a donor for her leukemia-stricken sister Kate, she was, in fact, the product of genetic engineering that guaranteed she would be a perfect match for Kate. This premise touches on many of the issues that affect modern day science, from designer babies to the ethics involved in cloning. The thing I enjoyed most was that it looks at the story from all viewpoints: the mum, dad, brother, lawyer, guardian etc. All that is except Kate whom we only hear from in the end. A nice easy read - can see why Picoult is so popular.

Verdict: Everybody loved it and agreed that it was a nice easy read, great topic and awesome for bookgroups to discuss as many issues arouse.

No comments: