Thursday, August 19, 2010

Night Bookgroup: On Chesil Beach


I am a glutton for punishment because I joined another bookgroup with my friend once a month on Tuesday night's. I am still in the Saturday one but have had problem actually getting there! Nights are easier sometimes. Anyway, so we read On Chesil Beach. It was OK. I mean nothing really happened! It was all a big build up to.....nothing! It opens on the anxious Dorset Coast wedding suite dinner of Edward Mayhew and the former Florence Ponting, married in the summer of 1963 at 23 and 22 respectively; the looming dramatic crisis is the marriage's impending consummation, or lack of it. Their fears about sex and their inability to discuss them form the story's center. It was an easy read but not one that I would be recommending in a hurry...

No comments: