Monday, March 26, 2012

Library Camp 2012



In the same week as VALA I was lucky enough to head back down to Melbourne on the Friday for Library Camp Australia 2012. Here are my notes from the day:

Hamish @hamishcurry

Partnerships essential. Talking is free. Inkind.
Filter bubbles. There is a whole world outside our own.
Help people build networks (beyond the first 10 results)
Problem vs Potential. Innovations have risks.
Empower your followers/staff.
Networks are powerful.

Mobile apps talk

Android - Google Ap Inventor
iPhone - Must be Mac Inventor

Instead do a "mobile version" of our website... Often through LMS.

Leadership talk

Macro level - change culture
Micro level - the "one" person

Involve HR
Keep the big picture in mind,
Leaders different to managers.
Look outside your workplace for advice.
Never one solution that fits.
Mistakes are OK. We learn from these.
No problems - only opportunities.
People are important - we're not going to leave you behind!
CULTURE. CULTURE.
Ask! Ask! Ask!
Leaders inspire.
Mangers mange the details.
Must communicate with staff.

Lightning talks (notes from 3 I got most out of)

Self promotion - Talk about yourself in a positive way. Use your strengths. Take up opportunities offered. Use your networks.

Put in applications for grants and research.

Ask - don't be hesitant. Nothing to lose.

Research talk

Do more professional reading.
RAILS.
Publish more in Incite, HLI etc.
Collaborate with others (just need ideas)
Conference - ie. HLI
What do others want to know?

Creativity talk

Libex (icon in Amazon that says if your library has book).

What I thought:

I had a fabulous day especially as I got to catch up with Sherrill, Jill, Tan and Margie. Plus I finally got to meet Steph! Then I got to touch base with lots of other library colleagues, twitter friends and interstates friends who I rarely see in life! I also came home with several good ideas and am in the stage of implementing some within my workplace :)

No comments: