Monday, April 28, 2008

Leap into leadership

On my extra day in February (the 29th) I headed to the State Library of Victoria for a workshop organised by ALIA Vic and a group of former Aurorians. The workshop was intended to be an experiential introduction to a range of perspectives of leadership.

So did I get much out of it? Yes and no! For me the most beneficial part was listening to a panel of experienced industry leaders. Notes from the leaders:

Craig Anderson

Your skills come from within
Ethics continually bought into practice

Patti Manolis
All experiences are fodder for learning
It’s ok not to know everything – keep learning
Develop confidence
Feel the fear and do it anyway
Leaders say sorry – we are all grown ups – take responsibility!

Janette Wright
Continually learn
To be a leader you need followers
And…you have to have been a follower to be a leader
Mentoring – get one
Mistakes is essential for learning
Ask lots of questions
Listen first then express your viewpoint
Network and build a social support system – ask for help when needed
It’s ok to be vulnerable
Cultivate originality and creativity

So it was a good day – interesting. The bonus was that I then sort of overcame one of my fears by speaking in public. At the very end of the day I gave a spiel about NLS4. I was very nervous but it was a small step for me on my way to becoming a leader.

1 comment:

lib_idol said...

Sounds great! I've been keen to hear about how things went with this event last month...