Monday, August 06, 2007

Alice Pung: Unpolished Gem


On Saturday I popped across to Daylesford (20 minutes) for their Words in Winter festival. The local public library (part of Central Highland Regional Library Corporation) had a guest speaker: Alice Pung. Alice is only 26 and this was her first novel. She did the usual spiel of why she wrote this and drew upon other novels, then gave us a background into her own life. This was followed by a reading and then lots and lots of questions. Boy did she speak well. Even though I haven't read the book it certainly inspired me to read it. (Plus I was really good and resisted buying a copy on the spot!!) I just really enjoy listening to authors talk. I love hearing about how they work, what their inspirations are, how long it took, the research involved, the reception received etc. Writing a novel is one of those things I would love to do, but feel that I never could.

Sometimes I think we are so lucky to have such talent in Australia and to be given the chance to see and hear this talent speak in such local and comfortable surrounds. Unfortunately the Words in Winter folk don't have a website (I have suggested this for next year) but I really recommend going to some of their events. Daylesford is such a lovely place to visit too. If you do go visiting I recommend the extra 3kms drive to Hepburn for a stop at the Chowder House for lunch. Boy can those boys cook!!

1 comment:

Jill Stephens said...

Gem,

I read this book about a month ago, and her story amazed me about how well she could write, while also bringing out her parents culture in Australia. I think the book waned a bit at the end, but I was still keen to keep chewing through her words to get me to the end!

After that I read Prisoner of Tehran and it was awesome, easier to read than Alice and you could read it in a night or two.

Hope you read it.

Melb Ath has a bookclub blog, it's a great idea, you could forward the link to show them.
http://melbourneathenaeumbookclub.wordpress.com/

They have give a short blub on the book, unpolished gem.

It's inspiring to hear people talk about their work. You are lucky to see her !