Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Book: Book Lover


So after a pretty intense read of A Fortunate Life, I need some trash! Book Lover was just this! It was about a girl who whenever she gets depressed goes on “book reading binges”. Typical romance where girl meets boy (at local bookshop) etc. etc. I loved the following paragraph:

I collect new books the way my girlfriends buy designer handbags. Sometimes, I just like to know I have them and actually reading them is besides the point. Not that I don’t eventually end up reading them one by one. I do. But the mere act of buying them makes me happy – the world is more promising, fulfilling. It’s hard to explain, but I feel, somehow, more optimistic. The whole act just cheers me up.

Now that is quite similar to me (except I buy second hand, garage sale, market and Bookmooch books!) What is it about books that are just so mesmerising?? Anyway, the book was pretty average but just what I needed!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I'm a bit like that as well. I have heaps of books that I just had to have even though I haven't read them yet. I will one day though.