Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Book: A Fortunate Life


WOW! What a book. I only read this book for one reason – book group. I have joined a book group at the local mechanics institute and the first meeting is on Saturday. I got to select books that sounded interesting to me, and for the whole year only one of the ones I choose was selected!! Anyhow, this wasn’t one of them. I would never have selected it as it discusses a guy who goes to WW1. War stuff just doesn’t engage me. But boy am I glad I joined book group or I would never has been taken out of my comfort zone!

This book tells the story of Albert Facey who was born in the 1890’s. It is a biography of his life and how he grew up as a farmer, drover, soldier, union man, chook farmer, tram driver and much more. Just such an inspirational read with a real insight into life in Australia. I mean we just take so much for granted. I never had grandparents who told ‘tales’ so I felt like he was my granddad. Just a remarkable read – highly recommended!

No comments: