Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Book: Escape


So after a trashy book I moved on to a more in-depth one. I saw this one on Oprah (yes – tragic). But what a read. This is a story about Carolyn who was born into a polygamist community. A religious cult known as the Fundamentalist Church of the Latter Day Saints, a 10,000-strong community living in Arizona, USA. At 18 she was married to a 52 year old man and she became his fourth wife. What a riveting and very sad read. After 16 years of abuse she fled the community with her eight children. I mean, I can’t really explain it except that I highly recommend it. Again it makes you look at your life and shows you how good we actually have it! I have nothing to complain about!

3 comments:

Tania said...

Hi Gem

This has just come in for me at work! Looking forward to it - well sort of....

SharonU said...

I never realised you read so much, Gem!! I really have to start a list of what I want to read once I finish my degree - then I only have to deal with one "small" distraction!! 8-)

Have you thought of using LibraryThing to do all your reviews, ratings and such??!! Or do you already use it?

Gemma said...

Tan - well worth the read!

Sharon I don't read much at all, except that Uni is over for the time being so I have been catching up. I am hoping to go back to Uni in a few weeks time so there will be very few "book postings" from me! I don't use LibraryThing (one of those things I'd love to do but have no time for...) I do keep a "wishlist" of books on my Bookmooch account and that is up to about 200, plus there are the usual authors you read..