Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Banned Book Week (US)

Its banned book week in the USA (Check out Jessamyn's post for her views).

Just thought this was cool though as ALA lists the 100 most frequently challenged books from 1990-2000. http://www.ala.org/ala/oif/bannedbooksweek/bbwlinks/100mostfrequently.htm

Plus, how awesome is the Hatcher Graduate Library in Ann Arbor Michigan making a Flickr photoset of their staff reading banned books. Cool huh!

Personally I don't have strong views on banned books. I suppose as I don't work in a school or public library environment that it isn't an issue. I do remember when I worked at Whitehorse Manningham though that we had 4 or 5 copies of a book and they had all been stolen - can't remember the book though - I think it was something religious. I actually thought it was pretty impressive that someone drove to all 5 branches and procedeed to steal the book! Obviously someone with strong views and too much time on their hands!

1 comment:

Ross said...

When you work in a library in Melbourne's eastern suburbs Bible belt, that sort of thing is bound to happen.