Monday, October 01, 2007

NGG & CSU Dinner

After the LT Conference volunteer meeting, I headed to the European Bier Cafe for dinner with the ALIA New Graduate Group of Victoria and the Charles Sturt University Melbourne Study Tour students. As I am still studying at CSU, it was a great chance for me to meet some fellow students, and of course lecturer Damian Lodge. It consisted of undergraduate students, teacher-librarians and masters students. A great mix! I always love to hear where people work and in what environment. I mean to me school libraries are so alien! I don't think its a job I could do but I really admire those who do! Just to listen to the different issues facing libraries across different sectors is always amazing.

Plus, I was in a position to offer advice to students doing the undergraduate course as I had done it through CSU too. I told them what subjects were easy, hard and how to get credits! In the CSU course you also study a non-library major which is always interesting to hear why people chose certain areas. Also we discussed the choice of electives - I mean I personally wouldn't touch an IT subject but others felt there weren't enough!

There is always the discussion of "When are you finished?". Many of the students were finishing this year, or next year. There are always a few unfortunate souls who have 3 more years left to go! I suppose though as the CSU course is by distance education, it's just nice to sit down with fellow students who are going through the same as you. Most people work full time, study a couple of subjects and either have kids or other commitments. It's nice to know you aren't the only one who spends a Saturday night at home completing assignments!

No comments: