Monday, October 22, 2007

Conference: Monday - How to be a relaxed overachiever

(Me and Margie - our lovely ALIA Local Liasion Officer for Victoria)


OK - so it has taken me forever to get back to my blog and writing about my adventures at the ALIA Library Technicians Conference in Melbourne but I feel like I should at least make a start.


On the Monday (October 8th) I caught the 7:00am train down and lugged my bag to the State Library of Victoria for a pre-conference session. It was called How to be a relaxed overachiever: reconnecting with the big picture. It was facilitated by Geraldine Barkworth who was excellent. OK, so I arrive at SLV and I see the person who first gave me my break in the library world. When I was studying the LT Course you had to do placement so I trundled off to Box Hill Library and by the end of the week I was resigning from Safeway and entering the library world. Anyway, it was really great to catch up with the person who gave me a chance and has really helped develop me to the person I am today.

Anyway, the session!! So we did lots of group activities etc. but the best thing I took out was the 80/20 rule (yes, heard it before but this time it stuck!). OK, so I write down 10 things I have to do and I circle the most important two (the 20). And in reality, if I complete these two, the other eight sort of fall by the wayside or are consumed within the initial two anyway! So 20% of the total will give 80% of the value! OK - so probably a really BAD definition but that's what I got out of it! (Plus, I got to have some Boost Juice which sadly we don't have here in Ballarat!)

No comments: