Wednesday, November 07, 2007

NAC Teleconference

As you have previously read, I attended the Ballarat NAC and I was chosen as the representative for the National NAC Teleconference. So on the night of Tuesday October 30th, I dialled into the ALIA Teleconference from the comfort of my own home. We each had two minutes to comment on the top two issues raised at our meeting, and then later to comment on the most important issues ALIA needs to focus on in 2008. I was a bit sceptical at first thinking ‘I wonder if this will work’, but it did! It was really great. The best thing was that I was about 5th in line to talk and I followed other regional areas such as the Riverina, Alice Springs, Rockhampton and Townsville. The great thing was that I wasn’t made to feel so isolated by living in Ballarat. I saw lots of other places struggling just like Ballarat due to their distance from a capital city. It actually gave me a great deal of comfort knowing I wasn’t alone and that others were in the same position as me. I am hoping to get in touch with other regional areas to gain an idea of what library events work for them and to see how many people they usually get turning up to events to gain an idea of what to expect in Ballarat. I do think that ALIA needs to focus on Regional areas more and get out there and be proactive! But all it all it was really good!

No comments: