Wednesday, November 07, 2007

New Grad Group Event: Key Selection Criteria

OK, so I headed to this event at RMIT University Library on Thursday 25th for a Vic NGG event. I am not looking for a job so KSC wasn’t really up my avenue but boy what a fantastic event. This was definitely one of the most practical I have been to all year. If I was looking for a job there was so much great information to take away from it. In fact I left thinking how on earth did I get a job because I am sure my KSC were no way near as good as what was discussed on the night! So here are my notes from the night with the following panellists:

Ian Smith (Library HR at LaTrobe Uni),
Jenny Baran (One Umbrella),
Meka Mellers (Hume Library Council).

KSC tell you what employers are looking for. So tell them what they want/need to know about you. Don’t expect them to hunt out the answers. Get to the point – give examples. Stand out (in a good way) be accurate, write clearly and in a positive voice.

If you don’t meet a KSC, say you don’t have these skills but you have…. Don’t leave anything out!

Less is more – fewer words, quality not quantity. Use bullets pints (some say yes – public, some say no – academic). Don’t use ambiguous words. Be succinct!

It is a time consuming process – give it your full focus. Use the KSC list as your headings. Use concrete terms: I organised…I edited…I liaised with…I instigated…I investigated…NOT I was involved in …or I assisted…

Picking out particular words like abilities (could do) or experience (can do) evidence/demonstrate (means give examples).

Break each KSC into parts.

Skills are transferable – good word to use.

State your achievements. I improved time frame by….

Suggested book: How to address selection criteria by Anne D Villiers.

Treat each application separately (for when you are applying for multiple jobs).

In public/government/universities etc. the interview then revolves around the key selection criteria.

Cover letter/KSC/Resume. Use same fonts/sizes/underlines/bolds etc. so there is a uniform look. An RTF Format document opens the same as you saved it (ie. When submitting via email).

Overall this was just a fantastically well run event. Big claps to both Michelle and Laura who organised it – just superb!

After the event I headed to the soccer club to follow my dad to the mechanics (to get his truck serviced). He was off to QLD the next morning for an old farts soccer tournament! Good on him – I hope I am as active as him when I get old!

No comments: