Thursday, July 19, 2007

Leading opinions...

One of the different things about working in a the public health system is that all sorts of different events come up that are not really "library" related. This afternoon there was the nursing journal club - called 'Leading Opinions' hence the title! The following article was discussed:

"Working with a culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) group of nurses"
Collegian, 14(1) 2007; 16-22
Jeon, Y & Chenoweth, L

I haven't been to one for a while and went because this one is really relevant to me. Though I don't work in a nursing setting with CALD nurses, I certainly do in the library. My workplace runs a program for Overseas Qualified Nurses in which we have groups of between 12-26 come at any one time to become qualified Australian nurses. They spend four weeks in lectures then eight weeks on the ward whilst completing 4 major assignments (hence the library). We teach them how to find information through books, databases, internet etc. Then as they don't generally have access to computers, they are in here typing up all their assignments - therefore we become IT experts trouble shooting, double spacing, changing fonts, saving work etc. Then it takes them another four weeks to find sponsored jobs so they continue to come in and learn and check their Yahoo and Gmail accounts.

Over the last three years I have learnt so much from them , as I know they have from me. For once I actually felt like my opinion counted so I definitely put it across in the discussions. I think it is because I am confident on this topic and feel comfortable with nurses. If it was a room full of doctors my lips would probably have remained zip locked the whole way through!! I was just really proud that I expressed myself and felt like it was another step in the "growing" up process. Maybe that's what happens when you turn 27!!

No comments: