Monday, June 06, 2011

Personal Learning Network

Some recent blogs such as Tania and Kate (and others that I fail to remember at this point) have been discussing the benefit of their Personal Learning Networks (PLN's). You can catch me on Twitter @gemmas1980 however I'm not a big tweeter - more of a silent observer. I'm more of a face-to-face girl and have immensely enjoyed that last few days catching up with my lovely library girls!

As I am currently on maternity leave I'm not as often in touch with those who I regularly called on for help with library related issues. On Sunday I caught up with Michelle (local), Laura (Melbourne) and Sherrill (Geelong) who travelled to Ballarat for lunch. It was great to catch up on library news and just to discuss life over wine. Something I have missed immensely the last few months.

Today I travelled to a kids indoor play centre in Hopper's Crossing to catch up with Tania (who is also on maternity leave) and Jill who is just starting back in the library world after having time off to be a mum. We chatted about libraries, life and motherhood! A fantastic time where the two toddlers could play and we could chat. Rather different to the dinners and library events where we normal meet.

To me these PLN's are invaluable. Though I benefit from networks such as Twitter, nothing beats the face-to-face interaction for me!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My first library job was as an OPL, so I'm just now discovering the benefits of working in a large team, having moved to a Uni library at Easter. I'm really enjoying the opportunity to exchange ideas with real live workmates - it still seems such a novelty to me!

I still love my virtual PLN though :-)