Monday, September 17, 2007

Book: Kartya's Story

Now I read this one on Sunday (whilst still recovering in bed). This was another great book. I think there were a few elements that swayed me though! It was set in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne, in the suburb next to the one I grew up in. So I was very familiar with the setting etc. (I always love that about a book). The story was about a young girl (born only a few months after me - again, I love similarities), who was adopted. It was about the struggle with her identity from her adoptive mother's perspective. The young girl turned to the streets, petty crime, drugs (in particular heroine). This also hit a close cord as I am very close to someone who is a recovering drug addict. Anyway, the adoptive mother ended up trying to track down the birth mother in Taiwan as this was one of the main problems of Kartya - not knowing where she came from or why she was given up. It ended up with a successful media hunt in Taiwan for her birth mother. The family all met, Kartya was happy - free etc. However, she was still on drugs just before she left to go to Taiwan and the story ended about 4 weeks after that. The epilogue was about 6 months later. I would be fascinated to see if it all turned out well or if she returned to Australia, drugs, family etc. A good read though. 4/5 stars

No comments: