Monday, September 17, 2007

Book: St Judes


I read this book on Saturday (while sick in bed) and it was a great read. It is about an Australian girl who goes to Africa to volunteer and help teach the locals. But her plans changed when she went on a safari to the Serengeti and fell in love with her Tanzanian safari guide, Richard Sisia. Despite the reservations of some of her family, they were married in 2001, some six years after first meeting (and they have two children). Meanwhile, she had started a scheme to sponsor the education of African children. With the help of Rotary, the scheme grew to the point where she decided it would be better to build her own school. Her father-in-law donated a block of land in the town of Arusha, Tanzania and the School of St Jude opened in 2002. Built by Australian volunteers and sponsors, the school now boasts more than 700 students with a second campus and secondary school currently under construction.
*
It was one of those reads where you feel like a lot of what you do is so self obsessed. I mean I jumped on the web and found out more about the school and sponsorship etc. but realised I couldn't really afford it (one of those caught up in the moment things). Plus, I have been sponsoring a child in Mozambique for years so those feelings disappeared. It was just one of those inspiring reads though where you were really touched. I highly recommend it! Plus they mention the library and how wonderful librarians are - plus the website says they are looking for volunteers, including librarians (but a minimum of a one year stay).
*
That always brings me back to thinking too. I would love to volunteer overseas, but again financial reasons stop me. I mean, I could easily pay for airfares etc. but it is everything else you have to continue paying for here (like a mortgage - but yes, I have chosen this path). I would love to do a short stint somewhere in the future. Maybe six-12 weeks like my friend Marg in East Timor. That may be doable....one day.

No comments: